Friday, April 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Friend!

Today is my friend Ruth's birthday. She is one of my oldest and dearest friends. Truth be told, I have known a few friends longer but with Ruth it feels like we've known each other since before forever..

When we first met I didn't want to be friends with her because I was jealous of all of the attention she gathered. My bishop at the time was a good friend of hers and "encouraged" me to be friends with her and even (gasp) suggested that we be room-mates. I wisely followed the counsel of my bishop and my room-mate and I invited Ruth to find an apartment which we could all share.

I quickly learned that the attention that Ruth gathered had nothing to do with her beauty or "way with the boys". She has a heart like no one I've ever known. Ruth taught me the meaning of the atonement, she taught me about the importance of making covenants and most of all, she was the greatest influence in my life inspiring me to serve a mission.

There are as many things that Ruth has taught me as there are minutes in an hour. Everyone should have a friend like Ruth.

We don't get to see each other that often but now thanks to blogging, we are able to keep up with each other's lives MUCH better. I get to see pictures of her and her sweet family more than just once a year at Christmas!

Happy Birthday my friend! I wish you nothing but love, health and happiness!

PS - I tried and tried to find a picture of her by herself (on her blog) but I couldn't and I don't have a scanner here at home to upload a picture of the two of us from years gone by. So, I give you a picture of Ruth and her husband. I'm allowed to say that I love him too because I think I loved him before Ruth did!

1 comment:

rad6 said...

Hey you, way to make me cry!!! You have an amazing way of touching hearts and pointing out the best in others. I know you could also write a nice long post about all my faults too, but you are sweet enough to forget all that and look at the good.
You are SO responsible for the fact that I ever had a second date with Rod. We both tribute much of our "courtship history" to you and your uncanny desire to make sure we kept dating! So funny, you were inspired!
I love you my friend Leslie... this email made me SO wish I could see you more. I have Utah in my summer plans and want to spend some time with you!!!!!
thanks for this post. it is the best present ever!!
By the way my bday is tomorrow (not today). :) My dad always thinks its the 24th too... have you been talking to him?