I know it's wrong of me to not post for more than two weeks and then come here to provide details of my latest baking debacle but I just have to get this off my chest (or out of my KitchenAid).
I've been craving oatmeal raisin cookies. I got the tried and true recipe from Quaker.com. Umm...yeah, not so much good. I should have known there was a problem when the dough slowed down the mixer. Bottom line, when I dropped them by rounded teaspoonful on the cookie sheet, they stayed in that same exact shape and didn't cook down to a cookie shape. Even after I flattened them, they didn't cook! The recipe said 8-10 minutes and I cooked them for almost 20 and they just didn't turn out. The dough was too dry/thick.
What a dilemma. So, I ate some of the dough and that should stave the craving for now. The rest will go down the drain.
Anyone have a recipe that they know works in Utah to share?
Oh, and Happy New Year!
8 comments:
http://twopeasandtheirpod.com/recipe-for-chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies/
Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
Freshly grated nutmeg-just a bit
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4-1 cup of raisins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a small bowl add the raisins and cover with water. Let them sit for five minutes. This will help plump them up.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth and creamy. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture. Blend until combined. Stir in the oats and raisins.
Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. You can bake them right away, but I prefer to chill the dough. I think it helps them bake up and not be so flat.
When you are ready to bake, spoon about a tablespoon of dough into a round ball, leaving space between each cookie. They will spread a little. Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes. Take them out when they are golden at the edges but still a little under baked in the middle. Let them sit on the hot baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to cooling rack.
From Two Peas and their Pod Couple in Utah...Ah Sweetie don't use a blender...Love Ya MoM
Mom - I didn't use a blender! I used my KitchenAid mixer...I'll have to try that recipe next time.
Oh, good luck, Leslie! I have had the same problem with chocolate chip cookies here in Seattle!!!! They wind up tortilla thin, and it's driving me nuts!!! I SWEAR I used to make good cookies!
Laughing at myself for sure but mix 'em by hand, wait ask Auntie Mari...her cookies are 'to die for'!
signed your "I don't bake" MoM
Hey, isn't the dough the best part anyway? Always???????
If you come visit me i will make you some!!!
What about this one?
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/02/thick-chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies/
They look heavenly! I could always just make you some and mail them to you?
I wonder if you tried making the non high altitude version and see where that gets you?
Looking forward to hearing how they turn out!
I could write a novel on my failed attempts in the kitchen... which is why you will get no advice from me.
Good luck.
Post a Comment